The marathon and relay start at 8am and the Half Marathon starts at 9am.
The marathon and relay start at the Grand Junction Gem and Mineral Club (2328 Monument Road, Grand Junction, CO 81507). The half marathon start location and also the relay exchange point is at the Highland View pull-off in the Colorado National Monument.
*Please note that the relay exchange point is approximately a quarter mile further down the course from last year.
Up Monument Road and into the Colorado National Monument through the east entrance where Monument Road becomes Rim Rock Drive. Continue the 23 miles over Rim Rock Drive until it descends down to the west entrance of the Colorado National Monument. The race ends in Fruita, Colorado.
Circle Park (W Aspen Ave, Fruita, CO 81521)
There will be a total of nine aid stations along the course. Aid Stations will be approximately every 2.5 miles (plus or minus) thereafter including the following pull-offs:
- Dog's Tooth
- Cold Shivers Point
- Red Canyon
- Fallen Rock Overlook
- Highland View*
- Artists Point
- Grand View Overlook
- Fruita Canyon View
- West Entrance to the Colorado National Monument
*Highland View is the closest aid station (and restroom) to the relay exchange point and Half Marathon starting point.
Please help us keep the park clean so that we can continue to have this event by disposing of trash and gel packets at aid stations. Dispose of cups at/near the aid stations.
Water, Gatorade, Honey Stinger Organic Gels, pretzels, bananas and orange slices will be available at each aid station.
1. Cut-off times - If you do not reach these locations by the designated times you will be asked to stop running and transportation will be provided to the Finish Line.
- 9:30 am - Second aid station at Cold Shivers overlook at the top of the first climb, approximately mile 4.5.
- 1 pm - Visitors Center above the West Entrance of the Colorado National Monument, approximately mile 19.6.
- Please note: If a runner is not through the tunnels on the west hill by 1:30 pm, traffic will re-open in the eastbound lane and runner(s) will be asked to run against traffic in the eastbound lane to the west entrance.
2. Running lane - All runners must run in the closed westbound (right) lane over the Monument. Please stay to the right as you run.
3. Race Numbers - All participants must wear their number on front of body.
4. No baby strollers/joggers.
5. No dogs.
6. No bikes.
The Relay exchange point has changed from last year. The new exchange point is at the Highland View pull-off. The new exchange point allows us to get closer on distances of each relay runner, but drastically limits staging. Therefore, it is mandatory to take the shuttle to the exchange point. We will have multiple shuttles this year, so wait times will not be as long. A bus will shuttle racers from the start to Highland View. All racers must exchange places through a physical touch, i.e. High Five. There will be a couple of buses departing Highland View to bring first-leg relay runners down. The last bus will stay at Highland View until the follow patrol vehicle passes, then return to Circle Park for the finish line activities.
Please coordinate with your relay partner on exchanging goods/clothing items at the relay exchange point. We recommend the first leg relayer have the second leg relayer take their extra layers/etc. on the bus to the exchange point. Then have the first leg relayer take the second leg relayer's extra stuff on the bus back to the finish line.
The Half Marathon will be starting at the Highland View pull-off, same place as the relay exchange point. The downhill half marathon will begin at 9am, the marathon and relay will start at 8 am. Highland View is closer to a true half marathon, but drastically limits staging. Therefore, it is mandatory to take the shuttle to the starting line. We will have multiple shuttles this year, so wait times will not be as long. A bus will shuttle racers from the start to Highland View.