Grand Junction Gem and Mineral Club (2328 Monument Road, Grand Junction, CO 81507)
Up Monument Road and into the Colorado National Monument through the east entrance where Monument Road becomes Rim Rock Drive. Continue the 23 miles over Rim Rock Drive until it descends down to the west entrance of the Colorado National Monument. The race ends in Fruita, Colorado.
We are making some exciting changes to the course finish line. Stay tuned for more info coming soon!
There will be a total of nine aid stations along the course. Aid Stations will be approximately every 2.5 miles (plus or minus) thereafter including the following pull-offs:
- Dog's Tooth
- Cold Shivers Point
- Red Canyon
- Fallen Rock Overlook
- Upper Liberty Cap Trail*
- Artists Point
- Grand View Overlook
- Fruita Canyon View
- West Entrance to the Colorado National Monument
*Upper Liberty Cap Trail is the closest aid station (and restroom) to the relay exchange point. It is less than .2 mile past the exchange point.
Please help us keep the park clean so that we can continue to have this event by disposing of trash and gel packets at aid stations. Dispose of cups at/near the aid stations.
Water, Gatorade, Honey Stinger Organic Gels, pretzels, bananas and orange slices will be available at each aid station.
1. Cut-off times - If you do not reach these locations by the designated times you will be asked to stop running and transportation will be provided to the Finish Line.
- 9:30 am - First aid station at Cold Shivers overlook at the top of the first climb, approximately mile 4.5.
- 1 pm - Visitors Center above the West Entrance of the Colorado National Monument, approximately mile 19.6.
- Please note: If a runner is not through the tunnels on the west hill by 1:30 pm, traffic will re-open in the eastbound lane and runner(s) will be asked to run against traffic in the eastbound lane to the west entrance.
2. Running lane - All runners must run in the closed westbound (right) lane over the Monument. Please stay to the right as you run.
3. Race Numbers - All participants must wear their number on front of body.
4. No baby strollers/joggers.
5. No dogs.
6. No bikes.
A bus will shuttle racers from the start to 16½ Road next to Rim Rock Drive. All racers must exchange places through a physical touch, i.e. High Five. The bus will stay at 16½ Road until all relay racers have exchanged places then return to the James E. Robb State Park for the finish line activities.
Please coordinate with your relay partner on exchanging goods/clothing items at the relay exchange point. We recommend the first leg relayer have the second leg relayer take their extra layers/etc. on the bus to the exchange point. Then have the first leg relayer take the second leg relayer's extra stuff on the bus back to the finish line.